How do you engage with people and spend less marketing budget on ads? How do you build a community with your audience?
You communicate with your potential customers and clients about who you are, what you do, how you can help them solve their problems in an interesting way.
How do you do this? Through content marketing.
Content marketing is not new. It’s been there for years and more people are seeing the benefits. Here is what you need to know about content marketing and how to tell your brand story using content.
What is Content Marketing?
It is the act of sharing your brand stories to educate and entertain your audience to attract prospective customers and convert them into buying customers.
When you are starting out on your content journey, it is always best to share educational content. Educate your audience on what problems your product/service is solving and give tips before you start selling your product.
People want to align themselves with brands that share the same values and through content marketing, you can share your stories so that people can connect with you and your brand.
What are The Benefits of Content Marketing?
The immediate goal is to connect with your audience in a natural way without necessarily bombarding them with sales pitches.
The long-term goal of content marketing is to win in the Google space, where you rank number 1 on top of your competitors.
To break things down, this is what I mean.
- Business OKRs (Objectives and Key Results): This is what you want to achieve as a business.
- Brand Strategy: How you will grow your brand (not products/services).
- Content Strategy: How content will support both the business and the brand strategy.
What are the types of shareable content you can create?
Some of the most common content types are blog posts, videos, infographics, social media posts, podcasts, white papers, e-books, reports, newsletters, webinars, case studies and guides.
Each content type plays a specific role in the customer journey (I will talk about this in a later article).
Content Marketing Tips for Small Businesses
Creating good content takes time. It also needs a good strategy otherwise you will be wasting a lot of your valuable time that you could spend doing other business operations.
Good content should:
- Educate: Help people solve a problem they’re struggling with. It will build your credibility in your industry and make an authority in that space.
- Connect: Makes you relatable as a real human being with flaws + struggles and it also warms people up to your business, builds trust and authority
- Inspire: Motivate people. Life is hard as it is.
- Engaging: Don’t always sell. Ask questions and really be concerned about your audience and costumers. They will help you to improve your business tremendously.
To create content that falls in the above categories, you need to know:
- Who you are: Know your brand’s identity. What people should associate you with.
- Your brand’s story: Why do you do what you do? Share it with your audience.
- Who you’re talking to: If you don’t know your target audience, it will be difficult to provide content that speaks to them.
- That you will experiment a lot: The marketing space is all about testing, trying new things and making changes a long the way.
- That you have to measure your initiatives: How will you know if something is working or not if you don’t measure?
- Quality is better than quality: You would rather have one piece of content that provides value than to have many small pieces that don’t have meaning.
- That you have to be consistent: Search engines and social media algorithms take time to understand your content and know what your business is about. Without consistency, it will be like you are starting from scratch each time.
Get in touch with me at [email protected] and I will help you come up with a content strategy for your business.